Monday, June 13, 2011

Last Post...

As this will be the last time that I post on this blog before going home (I might add a retrospection post or two later, but I doubt it), it's going to be all about things I am anticipating in the U.S. and probably not that interesting. Anyone who might be reading this, you have been warned.

The things that I'm focusing on right now are what I have to look forward to when I get back to the States. I will miss so many things in France, despite the difficulties I had in living here. Instead of concentrating on what I'm leaving behind, I'm only keeping in mind what is good about going back home.

PEANUT BUTTER. All day, every day.

My bed. Oh, god, my bed.... I have actually had dreams about my bed, which is weird if you think about it. Meta, I guess you could say.

iPhone. Really any kind of phone that allows you to talk more than one hour a month and doesn't insert "A3" every time you want to type the word "be". But since I'm getting an iPhone (ordering it this Thursday!) I'm specifically pumped about that.

My American friends. This list is definitely not in order of importance, because if so this would have been the top of the list. I miss everyone so much and can't wait to be back in contact ON THE SAME CONTINENT. And one of the things I love most about OU alum is that we just can't stop going back for visits, so I can expect to see most everyone again at some point next year.

Having a car. Being limited to buses and trains is, in a word, frustrating. Seeing as how I lived in a city with less-than-spectacular public transportation, my car was something that I very much wanted to have.

Being a student again. After nine months of working with screaming foreign children, it will be such a nice change of pace to be back in the realm of people around the same age as me (most younger than me now, which is a strange thought), and teaching people who are only a few years younger. Ok, some of them might be six years younger than me, but that's better than a 17 year age difference.

Stores that are open... wait for it.... LATER than 8 pm. No need to even describe why that's something that I missed.

Bartenders, cashiers, waiters, etc. who speak English as their native language. As much fun as it is to get to practice my French on a daily basis, it will be awesome to get to just order something without thinking twice about which words I need to choose or if it's really what I think it is.

Television. Sure, I watched all my favorite shows online here, but it's so nice to get to sit down on your couch and chill out to some Jersey Shore or Golden Girls every once in a while.

On a similar note... my Wii. Super Mario Galaxy, watch out, because I'm coming back with a vengeance.

Kaleb. He might be... ok, he is, very difficult, but he and Blake are undoubtedly my favorite people ever.


There are a number of other things that I'm overjoyed to have back in my life, but these are some of the ones that I think about pretty frequently. I will, of course, miss France. More than that, I will miss the people that I've become friends with here. But I have full confidence in the fact that one day I will see them all again, whether it's in the United States, France, England, Spain... somewhere, some day, we'll be back together.

No comments:

Post a Comment